Another International Thanksgiving




I find it hard to believe that this was our FOURTH Thanksgiving in Indonesia already!  Ever since arriving in Indonesia, our Thanksgivings have always included several other nationalities and this year was no exception. We got to host this year's feast in our home and we enjoyed the company of our American, British, Dutch, and Indonesian friends.  It's fun to share this tradition with them and they have a lot of fun, too.  This year our Dutch friends even brought one of their favorite Dutch dishes for us to try - it was delicious!  I love our International Thanksgivings.

 Each year, we have been able to enjoy real turkey and most of the fixings we take for granted in the States.  To give you an idea how rare turkey is here, I got this year's turkey (a 13-pounder) in Jakarta for about $45.  Funny enough, we actually found a LIVE turkey at the pet store in town.  They wanted $50 for that one, so I guess my frozen turkey was a good deal.  When asked if the turkey was for someone to eat, the store owners were horrified!  This, from a citizen of a country where dogs are regularly on the menu.  This is indeed "Opposite World!"

The very first year, when we were still in Java, I even found real cranberries to make our family's famous cranberry salad but I haven't seen those again in 3 years.  Our pumpkin pies are always made from pumpkins I've pureed myself.  If we get pecan pies, the pecans are from packages from home. If I am lucky enough to have Corn Syrup for pecan pies I'm happy - otherwise, I have to make my own syrup from boiling down sugar and water. I always use my Grandma's never fail pie crust recipe and it always turns out perfect.  This year it was a bit of a struggle to find shortening, but I finally found it last minute.  I could have bought a tiny can of Crisco for $14 but I went for the cheap Indo version for a buck instead - that stuff is greasier than what I'm used to and it made such a mess of my measuring cup that it took several washes to get the grease off.  Lovely!  But it worked.  Someone (one of the Americans, obviously) always brings a green bean casserole (fresh, not canned green beans with either "imported" french fried onions and canned mushroom soup or all from scratch), mashed potatoes, stuffing, sweet potatoes, and bread.  And there's usually fruit or some other kind of side dish that isn't typically on the menu back home.  However different it may be, it is always delicious!  

Every year, I feel blessed and grateful on Thanksgiving.  For friends here that are like family, for over-priced turkey that traveled far to get to me, for family back home that sends their love and pecans in packages, for the fun experience of sharing my culture and learning about others'.  Do I miss my loved ones back in the USA this time of year?  You have no idea. No. Idea. But God always reminds me how incredibly blessed I am to be right here where He has placed me. I am so thankful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

School Daze

Laugh with me #1

About Last Weekend