The Haps 'round here...


Oh, we've had a great few weeks since my last post!  I mean truly great weeks with all sorts of little blessings that have shot our end-of-term weary arms full of the energy we need to reach our furlough in just FIVE more months.

I think I'll start with the most obvious.....
I mean, really.  Who ever would have thought? I know I never imagined meeting Harrison Ford in Central Borneo. I'm just blown away by this life we live.  It's amazing.  Sean and I often talk about how crazy our work in Indonesia has been - dealing with the rich and powerful as well as the most down-trodden and needy.  It really throws us sometimes. Three years in, we're still learning how to navigate two such different worlds - neither of which is our comfort zone.

Mr. Ford really impressed us, though.  Not because he's a huge movie star (though I was most certainly starstruck), but his attitude was so humble and kind. He's a normal guy.  I was touched at how he took the time to really talk to each of the girls. He was also very patient with everyone who wanted a picture with him. I'm not sure I would be so patient if I were in his shoes!  Okay, I know I wouldn't be.  I can't stand when people approach me in the supermarket here in Indonesia to ask for a picture with me or my kids (yes, it happens...we stand out).  If you haven't already seen it, Sean did a great write-up about his flight with Han Solo, click here to go read it and see more photos!

Celebrity sightings aside, there are other things we've been busy with these past few weeks that have been just as fun.  Here are some shots from my phone:

Brooklyn, Madison, and I took a trip to the capital city of Jakarta for some dental appointments.  I had such fun with my girls!  We met up with my friend/teammate Amber, who was also in Jakarta, and while the girls played with friends who live in Jakarta, she and I did our best to figure out that crazy city.  Fun!

In the airport awaiting our flight.

First stop (okay, 2nd...we went to Krispy Kreme first) was McDonalds!

I'm really thankful to have found a dental clinic with great care (didn't have much luck here in Palankaraya).  They were very knowledgeable dentists, with flawless English (a plus when you have limited dentist vocabulary in Indonesian), and the latest technology. The girls got nice blankies and you can't see the TV showing cartoons.  They beg to go back to the dentist....

Sadly, I am the one who has to go back.  I had no idea anything was wrong, but we discovered I needed a root canal.  Fun.  Or not.  Anyway, I get to make several trips back to Jakarta.  Next weekend, Sean is coming along.  Really hope he doesn't need a bunch of work done (doubt it).  Still, even though trips to the dentist for extensive and expensive dental work is NOT my idea of a good time, I did re-discover an amazing Mexican restaurant.  And I know where every Starbucks is within a 1 mile radius of the guest house.  And well, I did find the factory outlet stores with cheaply priced American-size clothes....  

Finally, just today, I took my girls on a little Girls Day Out.  This adorable shop opened up down the road a ways.  The very sweet owner is Chinese-Indonesian, speaks English, Mandarin, and Indonesian, and is an amazing artist.  She has a little cafe, a small library (with some English books!), and tons of knick-knacky things that little girls love to buy.  I had planned on working on a painting project but it was pouring rain, so this was our last-minute attempt to salvage our Friday morning off from school.  The girls brought along some of their spending money and came home with all manner of tiny notebooks, plastic toys, pens, and doo-dads. We all really enjoyed it.  Think we've found a new tradition.

Well, it has stopped raining at last so I'm off to work on my project!  

Comments

  1. Always love the peek into your life your writing gives us. Thank you for sharing and living your amazing life!

    Love you!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

School Daze

Laugh with me #1

About Last Weekend