A Macaroni Experience

We've noticed boxes of Macaroni and Cheese popping up in stores around town. (Okay, not literally popping, but you know what I mean...right?)

I could barely contain my excitement! Obviously, it isn't Kraft, but it's something. Most importantly, it's something I don't have to cook completely from scratch. Score!

Well, sorta, kinda score. Maybe more like a Close Enough When I'd Rather Poke My Eye Out Than Make or Eat Another Peanut Butter Sandwich Score!

I opened up the box, prepared to give my kids a (not) wholesome lunch of Mac'N'Cheese and here is what I find....


10 macaronis
Flavored oil
Milk Powder
Cheese powder
Spicy chile sauce
And a package of two dried peas, 50 Orange Dippin Dots and a mystery dried meat-like substance.

 

Because most Indonesians wouldn't have butter or milk in their kitchen, you are supposed to just add the milk powder and oil to the cheese powder. That way, you get a nice pasty, powdery, oily sauce for your 10 macaronis. Ew. And then, because this is Indonesia, you add some chili to it! I really have no idea what ultimate purpose the peas, Dippin Dots and fake meat serve - perhaps to make this more nutritious?

But, here's the confession. We ate it and we liked it. With a little bit of real milk and butter instead of oil and milk powder, this could be passable. I'd leave out the two peas, 50 Orange Dippin Dots, and the counterfeit meat because your kids are likely to fish it out and ask, "ew, what is this?" and have you spending the next 30 minutes picking all the tiny bits out while trying to explain the concept of dried vegetables...and meat. (Perhaps you are more up to that task than I - I can assure you, dried meat granules are a relatively new phenomenom in my life, something I never considered before moving to Southeast Asia... how do you explain something you can't understand?)

Unless your kids have been especially naughty, I'd be careful about adding that chili sauce too. And you'll have to buy at least four boxes if you want each child to have more than 3 macaronis for their lunch - there's nothing a mom hates more than hearing "I'm hungry" two minutes after the lunch dishes are cleared from the table.

Anyway, as I said, with a few minor tweaks, this stuff can pass for the old classic. You know, for days when you'd rather stick a fork in your eye than make or eat another peanut butter sandwich.

Or, you could just have your family send you some Kraft Macaroni and Cheese in their next package.

Ahem.

 

 

Comments

  1. BECCA
    HAD SOME KRAFT M&C LAST NIGHT. YOUR MOTHER COMPLAIN THE OTHER DAY ABOUT THE PRICE $1.59 A BOX. SHE DID FIND A A PACK OF 10 BOXES FOR $10.00. DON'T KNOW WHAT WE WILL DO WITH THAT MUCH M&C. GUESS WE WILL HAVE IT MORE OFTEN. TOO EXPENSIVE TO SHIP. YOU MIGHT JUST HAVE TO ENJOY YOUR MAKARONI RASA KEJU.
    LOVE YA
    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Becca, This post made me laugh really hard. You're so brave for even trying it! Not sure I"m that desperate yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! Mom gave us a couple of those boxes she found on sale. Unfortunately, we didn't have any milk or butter that day...coulda used that oil and milk powder. Love ya lots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stumbled upone your blog...thanks for being so candid and real. This made me laugh too! I enjoyed reading some of your other entries about our role as the wife/mom at home while our husbands are out and about. It was the perfect encouragement I needed to be reminded that I too, am right where God would have me. Thanks! Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

School Daze

Laugh with me #1

About Last Weekend