Our Homeschool Part 2


So yesterday I shared about our relaxed, interest-led homeschool.  It's all very gypsy and whimsical isn't it?  Well, I'll let you know now that it isn't quite that simple, simple as it is.  Sure, I don't pressure my girls into learning things they aren't interested in... but that only goes so far.  Because there's also a place for structure and a plan - especially when it comes to reading, writing, and 'rithmetic.  

I feel very strongly about giving my girls the tools they will need to use for the rest of their lives.  Knowing the temperature of the sun's core and being able to map the extent of Justinian's empire are not tools (though both are things that I find fascinating now).  Reading, writing, and math ARE tools - tools that help us learn everything else we need to know about the world. Think about it.  If you can read, communicate well, and do math with confidence, you can do - or learn to do - anything. Add to these basic tools a nurtured sense of curiosity and fascination about the world (which all kids have) and I think a kid could grow up to accomplish just about anything they wanted to.  

Brooklyn knows that each day she must do three things - her math, some writing, and lots of reading.  She usually does math first thing in the morning.  I also have her do handwriting so she can learn cursive - because she wants to.  Once that's done, she plays.  After lunch, during quiet time, she writes in her journal and I look at it and show her any spelling or grammar mistakes. She also does writing on her own throughout the day, writing letters to friends, making up stories, copying her favorite books.  At bedtime she is allowed to stay up later than her sisters and she reads to herself whatever she chooses - she's read everything from Junie B. books to an encyclopedia of world history!

Madison is learning to read this year and she's dying to do Math.  My parents are bringing some books for her when they come as I had totally not planned on Maddie being so anxious to learn this stuff. I had to do an emergency order when she demanded that I teach her to read and let her do Math like Brooklyn! Anyway, we'll spend this year really working on Madison's reading, practicing writing letters, and doing a Math primer.  That's it.

What else do we do all day?  Brooklyn and I have been doing some spontaneous piano lessons.  There's almost always some craft going on.  The girls play with neighbors and each other.  We go visit Daddy at the dock.  We make bread and yogurt and marshmallows and something for dinner.  The girls ride their bikes and create elaborate imaginary worlds outside.  We read more books together.  The girls play games on the computer...and yes, they watch those old cartoons too.  We play the music loud and dance.  We sing songs.  We listen to The Jesus Storybook Bible. Then it rains and the girls run out to play in it!

So there you have it - our super simple homeschool.  A Retro Return to the 3 R's with a little parental enthusiasm for learning thrown in for good measure.  So far, it's working for us - though I'll be the first to admit that things can, and likely will, change down the road as our needs change.

Here are the curricula we are using this year:

Hooked on Phonics: Maddie is learning to read with this and she loves it.  I love that she loves it so we're going with that.

Math-U-See:  Can't say enough good things about this math curriculum so far.  We love it. Which is saying a lot for me considering Math was never my favorite subject in school!


I get my ideas for books to read from SonlightSimply Charlotte MasonAmbleside, or by Google searches.

The BEST books ever for leisurely but effective study of History and Science are the DK Eyewitness books and almost anything made by Usborne.  We have the Usborne Encyclopedia of World History and it's fascinating. I'm hoping to build up a nice library of these reference-type books, since we don't really have a library here - otherwise, we'd just get a library card and save our money  for other things...like trips to museums (which are also few and far between here, so I guess it works out).  Anyway, the DK and Usborne books are great quality and give the most bang for your buck.  Plus, they're just outright fascinating to look through.

We have lots of great books but the one I recommend the most for reading with your kids is The Jesus Storybook Bible.  We have the audio cd's and we ALL love listening to these stories.  Seriously, this book is a MUST for any Christian parent wishing to impart to their kids the wonder, grace, and beauty of God's Word and the story of His Son. I have literally wept while listening to some of these stories...and we're still in the Old Testament!  


We have a LOT of maps in our schoolroom and refer to them often. Next year, I'm hoping we can get a microscope.  Maybe a telescope too.  We use the internet often for games, looking up facts, etc.  We watch as many documentaries as the girls will watch with us.  When we have the opportunities (as in, we're in a place where these things exist) we hope to make as many trips to the library, zoos, museums, National Parks, theaters, and Historical sites as possible.

Here are some blogs by people who see things more as I do when it comes to homeschooling:

I know there are lots of other very viable philosophies and curricula out there.  The really awesome thing about homeschooling is having the opportunity to mold and shape it to your own family's needs - I've yet to come across somebody who does or did things exactly as I am. I'm all about simple and fluid and carefree (yes, I've been called a "hippy" a time or two in my life ;-)) but others would go crazy without more of a defined plan!  There are also some who say any formal teaching at all is squelching a child's innate ability to learn and to that I give a shiver because I know my kids would NOT learn math without a solid math curriculum to follow! Anyway, it's about making the right choices for your family and I think we've struck a good balance...at least for this year!

Comments

  1. I LOVE what you are doing. Homeschooling always seemed like a daunting prospect to me and you make it sound fun, challenging, and totally worth it. AND what an amazing, purposeful way to be with your kiddos. Good job mommy:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

School Daze

Laugh with me #1

About Last Weekend