Painting and Crafts...and a request.

We recently got some art/craft materials and, oh my, have we had the best fun using it!
At first, Paige wasn't sure about using her fingers to paint.

But she quickly got over that!

In fact, I came in the schoolroom the other day to find no less than 7 kids at the desk making creations. Neighbor kids had joined my kids and they were all up to their elbows in glue and sequins.  This was not part of my plan, and at first I was a little upset that all our nice craft supplies from the States were being used up.

But then, God reminded me that these Indonesian kids never get to play with clay or googly eyes or pipe cleaners or even Popsicle sticks and glitter.  So I let them have at it...and realized something important.  I realized that this is a part of our ministry - living here, letting these kids into our lives and holding nothing back.  Giving them a chance to play as kids should, to stay innocent for a few more years.  They play in the yard, pull around the red wagon at high speeds, play with our cats, enjoy our toys, watch our cartoons, read our books, and use up as much of our craft supplies as they can!  Maybe along the way, they'll learn a little something about Jesus and love and hope and truth.  (At least I hope they can see that here in this foreigner's home.)  It's a seems like a small thing...but it could be huge - as in eternal.  So I decided it's okay if they use up our craft supplies.

If you or your church are ever inclined to send a package to Indonesia, send craft supplies of all kinds! I know some kids who would love to put them to good use - and they do come up with some amazing ideas, I forgot to take pictures to show you what they did.  Maybe next time I'll remember to take a picture.

Oh, and if you have other ideas of things we can do with these kids who come to our house to play almost every afternoon, I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Comments

  1. Oh, my goodness, Becca! I can't imagine making all those things from scratch! And I'm afraid I don't like to sweat, either! Reading your blog makes me feel really lazy!

    So proud of you, Sweetie!

    Love the pics of the girls!

    All my love to our missionary family!
    Aunt Anita

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

School Daze

Laugh with me #1

About Last Weekend