Ick.

Our family has had more illness in the few months we've been back in the States than we had in our entire three and a half years overseas. We've had someone with a runny nose or tummy issues pretty much every week.

It's getting old.

Thankfully, none of us has been really sick. Just kinda sick. But that's annoying enough.

Currently, Madison is the sick one. We went to breakfast yesterday and Maddie did so good...but she didn't eat. We should have figured that one out right away - she was quiet and wasn't eating in the morning? Definitely out of character. Sean had just said, "I don't think Maddie is feeling very good," when she suddenly threw up all over him and the restaurant table. Nice.

She was obviously not feeling well all day, though she didn't throw up again until the middle of the night. Once again, we were clueless parents. She came into our room at around 2 a.m. and Sean pulled her up into bed with us. She cuddled with us for a while and then we realized she didn't smell very good. Yup. She had thrown up all over her bed, her blankie, and herself...and there we were just cuddling her, thinking she was so sweet to come visit us. So, we had an early morning bath-time and some middle-of-the-night laundry. Again, nice.

Today she seems mostly better, though one can never be sure with a toddler. She still has spells where all she wants to do is cuddle. It's actually kind of nice, being so rare and all! But it's also just so pathetic and I can't wait for her to feel and be herself again.

But I think I got her bug. While I don't feel super sick, I don't feel very great. Just gonna take it easy today and hope I don't throw up all over myself, I guess.

Three things are becoming apparent to me...

One, we're terrible at reading the signs that our children aren't feeling well. Or, I should say, we're at least pretty darn slow. A quiet, cuddly toddler? Cool! Doesn't even occur to us that she might be sick. Until she throws up all over one of us. And even then we actually believe it might have been a one-time event.

Two, we're apparently not accustomed to U.S. bugs. Seriously. We all had bouts over the years with various tummy issues picked up from local food or water, but we just didn't seem to be as sick as often. Interesting. And I hope we'll get some immunities to these "new" bugs soon...

Three, though we may all be sick more often and slow to realize when our kids are sick, Sean and I are really getting very good about dealing with the icky-ness of our children's ailments. Brooklyn was about Maddie's age when she threw up in a food court at a mall. We totally freaked. Maddie threw up in a sit-down restaurant and we calmly dealt with the situation like two mature adults. Once, I was up with Brooklyn all night while she threw up and I remember crying (okay weeping) while I tried to deal with it all. Last night, Sean and I tag-teamed like a couple of professionals and had Madison back in bed, clean and cozy, in 15 minutes.

Hey, I'm just looking for the upside in all this....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

School Daze

Laugh with me #1

About Last Weekend