That was weird...

This is a strange morning. I took the girls to the store to get some groceries and, most importantly, diapers. (We have a great store here that is basically just like a Super Wal-Mart.) The fact that I went shopping isn't so strange, although I do try to avoid going by myself with the girls. What happened while we were out was weird, though.

As I was picking out my produce, Brooklyn started complaining about a stomachache. She's been a little ill since yesterday - nothing serious, just an upset tummy. I told Brooklyn all she had to do was say the word and we'd go home. She said she wanted to keep shopping but about a minute later said, "Maybe we should go home." In no mood to deal with a sick child in the middle of a large store, I quickly agreed that we needed to leave. My plan was to buy what I had in my cart, which included diapers since Madison was wearing the last one. I wasn't even close to done shopping, but I could tell Brooklyn just wasn't feeling well, and it wouldn't be that big of a deal to come back later once Sean got home from work.

On our way to the check-out line, a store employee approached me and told me that I could hurry to Caja 5 (check-out counter 5) and get through quickly because there was an emergency. I'm such a blonde. I said thank you and walked away wondering how she knew we had an emergency with a sick child and needed to get through the line fast! But then I mulled over what she had told me a little longer, translated it to English with a little more thought (sometimes it is easy to make what you were told in Spanish into whatever you feel like it should be rather than what it really was). She had said there was an emergency in the store - she wasn't referring to my personal emergency! He-lo-o-o-o.

That was when I noticed several employees and shoppers all making their way to the front door. And then I finally clued in to the message playing over the loudspeaker about calmly making your way out of the store as quickly as possible. I didn't have time to buy the diapers I so badly needed and was told to get out of the store asap.

I never did figure out if it was all just a drill or a real fire, but whatever it was didn't take long to take care of. As we were pulling out of the parking lot, I noticed people going back into the store. However, by that time, there was no way I was going to make Brooklyn wait and suffer while I tried to buy diapers and fruit, even if we did need them desperately.

We're home now. Brooklyn is sitting on the couch watching a movie. She doesn't seem too sick, but I'm still glad we left when we did. Madison, thankfully, went right down for a nap so hopefully that last diaper will last until Sean or I can go grab some more! We have just enough food to have some lunch, if I can be creative.

Now I have to go make my list all over again and drag myself to the store again later today.
It isn't a big deal, but the whole thing was just weird.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

School Daze

Laugh with me #1

About Last Weekend