Of Shopping and Mopping

Of the many things I've done in the past week, two things have become a near-daily occurrence.

Shopping. Seems like we go to the store almost everyday as we set up house and figure out what we're needing. But this girl ain't complainin'. We live close to the main shopping center here in Oaxaca. Soriana is basically a Super Wal-Mart. There's a Sears, a Sam's Club, and another department store similar to a Macy's or Dillard's. People, we're having severe culture shock. Sean and I spent at least ten minutes debating about what air freshener to buy the other day. We're just not used to such choices! It is taking some getting used to, but this little perk of living in a larger city is going to be so nice.

Mopping. This is the hot and dry season in Oaxaca. Which means that the dust is everywhere. I cannot keep this floor clean. I've mopped at least three times in the week we've been in this house and it was not nearly enough. If I didn't have kids, it wouldn't be much of an issue, but I have to say it is rather disconcerting to see my children covered head to toe in a fine, black grime before breakfast is even on the table. (Someday, I'm going to write an Ode to Bathtubs. You have no idea how grateful I am for the one we have in this house.) Anyway, it is appearing as though I'm going to be spending a great deal of time with a broom in one hand and a mop in the other...or giving the girls baths. Good thing I don't despise mopping like I do window-washing - my hubby has done a terrific job of getting the windows clean in our house...and he knows not to even ask me for help :-)

Usually I'm mopping the floor, but a lot of times I'm also mopping the sweat off my brow. Mylanta! It got up to about 100 degrees Fahrenheit today. We don't have air conditioning, but cement houses stay remarkably cool. Honestly, I'm enjoying it. No, I don't have heat exhaustion, I really do like it! It is a "dry heat." It also cools down nicely at night. And I know this is just the season we're in - sounds like March and April are the hottest months of the year, and things cool down once the rains start in May or June. If there was humidity to add to this heat, then I'd really be complaining, but as it is, I'm trying to figure out how to get out there in the sun and get a tan - even though I'm more likely to get a burn.

Comments

  1. I've just been taking a quick peak at your blog. Your girls are beautiful!

    Shopping- I'll never forget it. That was the biggest struggle for me after leaving Ecuador. I remember often crying in the grocery store because I felt overwhelmed (and disgusted) by all the choices I had to make. Sadly, it does get easier.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

School Daze

Laugh with me #1

About Last Weekend