New Year's Ecuadorian Style

It is almost 9 pm and Sean and I are gearing up for what will most likely be a very, very long night. We have been in Ecuador for almost two years now, and, I have to say, I'm dealing with some serious culture shock...again - or still, I don't know! New Year's is almost a bigger deal than Christmas for Ecuadorians. This lazy town in the jungle is literally pounding with music and the party-goers are just getting ready for the big celebrations coming in a few hours.

Last year, we were in Quito at the MAF apartment there. We saw the fireworks and the "burning men" from the safe distance on the roof of the apartment building and then settled down for a quiet sleep in the basement apartment. Not this year.

Our neighbors across the street have built an impressive stage out of bamboo, spare tin roofing, and barrels. They have huge speakers and floodlights. (There are several more just like it all over town) The music is going strong, but really not as bad as we anticipate it to get in a few more hours. The boys across the street have built several large paper mache items to burn (a large head, two "cars") They have also made some "old men" for the midnight tradition of burning the old year in effigy to welcome in the new year. I'm sure there will be fireworks as well, come midnight. Somehow, Madison is sleeping right now but I have serious doubts that Brooklyn will ever go to sleep in her bed tonight since her room gets all the noise. I have no idea if Maddie will sleep through all the craziness or not - she is usually a very light sleeper...but she has surprised me and her room is by far the quietest room in the house.

Most of these traditions are different, but not so weird that I can't understand them at least a little bit. I mean, it does make sense to burn the "old"- to say good-bye to what was and welcome the hope of a new year and a new beginning. We Americans like to party the new year in too. And I've been absolutely floored at the display of talent these people have with paper mache and paint! And all just to burn it down, too. Wow! Of course, there are some traditions that have me baffled....

Roads are being blocked by men dressed in drag who make you pay a "toll" before they'll let you move on. You do not travel on New Year's Eve night..unless you are very rich, I guess. The cops have their own "toll" booth set up and anybody and everybody is welcome to set up their own spot - using a bamboo tree or string as the blockade or whatever you may have. Drivers are required to put a few coins in a cup and then they are allowed to pass through (but not before being subjected to ugly men in short skirts doing a little dance in front of the car.) This is a tradition all over Ecuador (I'm not sure if the men in drag thing is, though). I have no idea why they do this. None whatsoever. I told you....Culture. Shock.

I'm not liking the terrible music blaring through our house; the shouting of people already drunk outside our house; the teenage boys and grown men in drag dancing around; the impromptu "tolls" on major roads; the fireworks put off by anyone, anywhere in the middle of a residential neighborhood; or the creepy looking men burning in effigy...(mostly because I don't know quite how to explain any of this to Brooklyn who doesn't even know what a "year" is, let alone a new one!) Yet somehow, I'm also enthralled at cultural traditions that are so completely different from anything I'd ever known before leaving the United States. Dick Clark would be very uncomfortable here, people :-) I'm uncomfortable too, but since I'm up, I'm going to do my best to enjoy it - this is our last New Year's in Ecuador, our last chance to see how they celebrate here.

I want to wish you a Happy New Year! As we look back on 2007, we are amazed at all that we have experienced and all we have seen God do in our lives. We are always grateful to our supporters and friends and family who pray for us and encourage us. You have no idea what you mean to us! We love you! Thank you for the part you played in making this a fantastic year for the Cannon family in Ecuador. As we look forward to this new year, we have much on our minds - visitors (yeah!), a move to Mexico, and a furlough later in the year! (And so much more, I am sure.) Blessings to all of you and may you have an awesome fresh start in 2008!!!

**
I don't know if this made any sense...sorry. My concentration if a bit "off" tonight...can't imagine why. Man, that is some weird music they are playing right now....

Comments

  1. God Bless you and your family! Thanks for sharing this. Blessings to you in this coming year.

    I’m looking forward to browsing your blog.

    Come visit http://heartofwisdom.com/blog.

    I also have a new blog to help Christian bloggers learn how to get more traffic. http://heartofwisdom.com/Blogginghelp.

    Blessings,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

School Daze

Laugh with me #1

About Last Weekend