The Reality of Settling In

I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but Sean and I have moved around. A lot. In 7 1/2 years of marriage we have lived in five different countries and somewhere around ten different houses. That means how many moves?

You would think I'd be used to it by now.

But every time we move, at around this time, I am once again blindsided by the reality of moving and settling in.

Folks, it ain't easy.

In fact, you could say it's a lot like fun....only different.

"Different" meaning miserable, overwhelming, discouraging, and down-right upsetting in this case.

What I don't want to do is imply that I hate our life (cause I love it!)...or that I am regretting our decision to move to Mexico (cause I don't). Call me crazy, but I am still completely convinced we are right where we are supposed to be. God has not and will not desert us.

Having done this moving thing a time or two in the past, I'm well acquainted with the feelings I'm having at the moment. I suppose it helps to know this is all normal, all part of moving and re-settling. Good grief, you can't expect to leave all that you know and love - the life you have built over two years - and expect everything to be hunky-dory. Moving, itself, is quite easy. It's the settling-in, the hours of paperwork, the discovering yet another new culture, and the blood, sweat and tears that come after the move that gets ya. (I'm speaking international moves here, I've only had a couple of your run-of-the-mill, move-across-town kind of moves. Those are stressful, but nothing like switching to a completely different life in a new culture.)

So what, exactly, am I saying? Well, I guess I'm just being honest. The reality of moving to a new country is that it can just plain stink. It is hard. Paperwork? It can kill ya. Waiting? Even worse. And, where we are, that is all we can do. We wait for visas, for our shipment, for Sean's license, for everything else. We make phone calls only to be told maƱana. And most of all, we wait for what we know is just around the corner - that feeling of being settled, of having found our niche in Oaxaca, of knowing who our friends are, what our life looks like, just the comfort and security in a routine and all that goes with it.

It took a good year to a year and a half before we were "there" in Ecuador. In many ways, we've set our expectations very low, knowing things take time. It is still discouraging when things don't happen like we hope, but we know we'll get through to the other side. One day, this will be our home. One day, we'll know a little better what to expect when we set out to run an errand. One day, we'll feel like we're doing more with our time than sitting on our hands.

Wanna know what is truly amazing? God is still in this. He's still with us, still guiding, still protecting, still providing. Some days it feels like we are feeling our way around in the dark, but the reality is that He is the "Light unto our path." Earlier today, I was feeling particularly sick and laid down on my bed. I wanted to cry. I wanted to scream and throw a fit (but I was afraid I'd throw up again if I did). Do you know that God used that moment to just wrap me up in a sweet, warm embrace of peace? As I lay there calling out to the Only One who knows how I'm really feeling, I felt perfect peace and trust. I know the days are rough, but God is not in the business of leaving His children in the midst of trial. It is a sweet reminder that I need my God and Savior, that I must depend upon Him and be found in Him in the midst of some rotten days or risk those days becoming even more unbearable.

So, the reality is that no, everything isn't hunky-dory. It isn't exactly "fun" anymore. We're tired, a little grumpy. But God is REAL. We trust Him, we wait patiently to see our life in Oaxaca fall into place, we continue to expect great things!

Comments

  1. Thanks for being "real." I praise God for His goodness and faithfulness in your life. I love you, my sweet sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Once again, I can so relate. Lots of times I just want to go home...where things are familiar...where I can go to Target...where I can have a good washing machine and get chili powder at the store and have too many options in anything I could ever want or need. But the biggie...where I can not be somewhere where I can't understand about 90% of what's going on. I still don't know the language here. We've been here 11 months. I understand most in a one-on-one conversation...don't understand most in a group setting. I can speak it, but am very limited in what I can accurately say still. Do you know how hard it is to learn a language with 4 small children (ages 4 and under)? It's hard enough to keep up with the laundry and have food on the table and actually spend some time with the children...who has time to learn a language for heaven's sake?

    But, as "miserable" as I can get in my thoughts here, it doesn't even compare to the misery it would be "at home" (in the states) where I'm not supposed to be, no matter how comfortable and familiar and stable. So, I just trust...just like you do. That's all we can do. And, that is the best thing to do after all. It never lets us down, does it?

    Thanks for your real-ness. Very refreshing. I know that the people back home must really appreciate your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michawn,
    Yep. Being a wife and mother and missionary all at once can be overwhelming! I have not met a missionary yet who doesn't have days when they just want to go home to the States (or wherever home is) - even missionaries who are twenty-year veterans admit to having their bad days. Guess it is perfectly normal. But you are right when you say we'd be miserable if we knew we weren't in God's will for our lives.

    I do understand how hard learning a language is - I can't imagine what it would be like trying to find time to learn while caring for a family of 6! Don't be too hard on yourself, though, it sounds to me like you are doing the best you can! I'm sure you've come a long way from when you first began. It may take longer than you'd like, but I believe it will happen for you :-) Someday you'll be able to understand all that Portuguese flying around your head!

    You are 100% right. All we can do is trust. God never lets us down!
    --Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a lot....you brought tears to my eyes. We're praying for you guys and sure wish we could just take you out for tacos and make you feel all better! LOVE YOU!!!
    Andi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can feel ya! I am lookin at our upcoming international move and it seems overwhelming at times. In nine years we've moved at least 11 times. It never gets easier.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

School Daze

Laugh with me #1

About Last Weekend